Connection To Server has Timed Out (Singleplayer)
Problem: You try to start a singleplayer game and you get the message "connection to server has timed out".
Explanation: This has nothing to do with your internet connection. The game uses two executables
vtserver.exeto work. The client renders the screen, and the server handles the actual gameplay. If this message appears then the communication between the client program and the server program have become broken.
When you start a game (either singleplayer of multiplayer) the client starts the server and connects to it. "Singleplayer" is actually just a "Multiplayer" game but with only 1 player slot and only you are allowed to log in. Because the server is run locally on your machine this means that your connection does not matter. The game does not phone home in singleplayer and does not need to access anything on the internet to play.
- AntiVirus software is blocking communication between
vtserver.exe(this has been confirmed to happen with McAffee and Comodo).
- The server is hanging (it gets busy and loses the connection). After the timeout you can still find vtserver.exe running in the Task Manager
- The server is crashing (either due to a lua script error or an application error). You may get a "vtserver has stopped working" message if windows feels like displaying one
- Antivirus: Either disable it or whitelist
- Server Hanging or Crashing: Email me your crash logs (find them in the
directory) (please zip everything in the folder!) to voxelturf AT gmail DOT com
Connection To Server has Timed Out (Multiplayer)
- First verify that the game works in singleplayer (both for the host and the joiner)
- See if you can connect to other multiplayer servers.
- If you can't connect to any of them then you my be behind a Symmetric NAT and will then have to Set Up Port Forwarding to get a connection.
- Check that
vtserver.exeare not blocked by windows firewall.
Problem: Screen flashes black when in fullscreen mode
Cause: Something is wrong with your graphics driver's V-Sync settings
Work Around: Run the game in windowed mode, or run the game in borderless fullscreen mode (use the